Thursday, November 15, 2007

Wo She Yotai Ren

Another quick shot for the blog here. It's worth commenting that whenever I bring up the fact that I'm Jewish to pretty much anyone in China, I get the same reaction: a shocked facial expression, coupled with a "WHAAAAAAAT???"

I know. Me, Jewish? Who would have thought huh?

Anyways, the same comments always follow as well. Some remark about how we're practically brothers. Because you see, the Jews are regarded by the Chinese as one of the smartest groups of people on the planet (Einstein always gets name dropped about now, he's the only other Jew they know besides me now). Then, I get told that we're practically brothers (because of the similar genius of the Chinese), and they continue excitedly about how they couldn't believe I was Jewish.

Maybe because they thought I was retarded or something.

So my Jewish brethren would seem to rank number two on China's "Smartest Ethnic Stereotypes" List. Right behind the Chinese naturally.

Other moderately funny related tidbit # 1: Pork in Chinese is Zhou Rou (Pronounce Jew Ro)
Other moderately funny related tidbit # 2: Apparently Hitler in Chinese is Shitler. Apparently.

I'm off to rub my beard in deep thought,
Shawn


* And for those wondering, the title of this post is indeed "I'm a Jew" in Chinese. You learn something new every day!

No comments: