Thursday, August 9, 2007

Beer Brawling

I know the blog has been in a bit of a dry spell, and I know that that is my fault. There has been a lot going on here, some of which will be detail in this post, some in future posts, and some that I should be able to talk more about soon. (Ominous hype!)

Today though, we're here to talk about Beer...



Anyway, over the last two weeks, the Dalian International Beer Festival was in town, converting Xinghai Square - the self proclaimed largest square in Asia - into a festive ode to Beer. The square was covered in tents representing the finest beers China has to offer (and some of the not so fine ones), and in an effort to back up the claims of being an "International" beer festival, some foreign beers were present. Asahi from Japan, a few tents peddling Germanic Brews, and the old reliable: Budweiser, representing home.



The idea of cold Budweiser on tap was appealing on many levels, not just to the Americans among us but everyone looking for something different than Chinese Beer. We had a good time, meeting a few new people along the way. As the night went on, some of us ventured off to other tents, others stayed.

About two hours later, I realized that Aaron hadn't joined us at the Bavarian Beer tent. Bianca, Corey and I went back to Budweiser when Bianca said that when she left Aaron was arguing with the wait staff at the Bud Tent. What had happened was a simple misunderstanding when Aaron ordered a single pint (for 10 RMB), and gave the waitress a 100 RMB note expecting change. Instead, she brought him a massive Beer... thing...



No harm no foul, right? Just swap out the beers and bring the change. Of course, somewhere along the way the waitress decided this was a big deal and started arguing and screaming, refusing to refund Aaron his money. By the time we had arrived at the Budweiser tent, Aaron had been arguing for almost two hours. The management was their, and for some reason, no one wanted to give him his money.

The three of us went to go and see what exactly was going on, but out of no where, we found ourselves caught up in the arguments. We were being verbally assaulted, asked why we want their Chinese money, if we want to do their jobs, and other ridiculous lines. We want your Chinese money because we get paid Chinese money and we're living here. We want your Chinese Money because we don't like being cheated. Then, a waitress started cursing at Corey, unprompted. I butt in, asking what she thought she was trying to say here, and quickly found myself surrounded by four large Chinese men, pushing me away. I backed away not wanting to be leveled by Chinese bouncers.

Eventually Aaron did get his money back when he started asking for names of the managers and wait staff.

We came back to the Beer Festival two nights later, forgoing the Budweiser tent for its neighbors Asahi. It's strange to think Budweiser tastes significantly better than Asahi, but it could be all in my Americanized head.

A few days later when we returned to the Beer Festival, Corey and I decided: Hey, T.I.C., I'm sure the Budweiser thing must have been an isolated incident. It was at the end of a long night, I'm sure putting up with drunken Chinese for a day would get anyone cranky. Let's go back and have some more Ice Cold Bud. We're Americans, Brand Loyalty is instilled in us at an early age, it's futile to try and fight something so deeply ingrained. Plus, Asahi is just too bitter.

We sit, chat and have a good time. A few hours later, Bianca and some of her friends show up, and we order another round. The next thing I know, a waitress is leaning over and whispering in my ear.

"Can I help you?"
"No, it's ok, we're being helped."
"You will need to pay 500 RMB to keep sitting at this table."
"Excuse me? What did you just say?"

The waitress was trying to extort 100 RMB a head, for no reason at all. There was no such charge to sit and drink at a table, and in the impossible event that there was, it wouldn't be charged two and a half hours after we got there.

Also interesting is how none of the Chinese around us seemed to be subject to the same ummm... cover charge.

I refused, and we argued for a bit. She told us if we didn't pay, we'd have to leave. I told her I'm not leaving until I finish my beer. She just walked away.

Bianca recognized her as the waitress from the other night. Either she just didn't like us, or... well, I can't really think of any other reason.

We finished our beers, and left (in no particular rush). But I just couldn't figure out why the only American tent at the festival was working so hard to piss off foreigners.

We went back to the old faithful Asahi, and had a good time. The girls found themselves in a drinking contest, and I got to compete in a Dumpling eating contest (too bad the camera was dead by then). The beer still sucked though.



Since then, I wrote to Budweiser. They expressed great "concern", and said they would like my address so they can send me a free gift. Nothing helps buy out distressed, racially harassed customers like a free t-shirt. Although, I COULD use a free t-shirt.

Man, I really am American.

I need a beer,
Shawn

No comments: