Sunday, March 4, 2007

Educational Monsoons

Man, a lot's happened since the last post, but such is the way of moving into a new city/apartment/job/hemisphere all at once.

We had an insanely hectic two days of training, where we were "fully prepared" to teach. Man, I wish I was telling you this story in person. I feel like I need to be there to fully exaggerate the quotation marks there.

Not that the training was bad at all. It was just a lot to absorb all at once. Suddenly, the next thing we know, we're all planning lesson plans for a full day of classes on Saturday.

Winging it would be an understatement.

But somehow, it wasn't disastrous. And I have to say, I'm really enjoying this whole teaching thing. There's just a feeling of doing something worthwhile that has been missing for... well... a long time.

That, and the kids are really fucking cute. And when they're not, and they insist on being pains in the ass instead, well... you can have a lot of fun with them anyways.

Like pushup time.



But really, these kids are damn smart. Ignoring the English levels (which are obviously very varied), one 11 year old blew me away today when we got into a discussion at break about the city population of New York. He asked me how many, and I hazarded a guess figuring it didn't really matter what I said. Boy was I wrong. I had thought he was curious, but it was more him testing my knowledge. Suffice to say he knew a lot more of the population break down of New York than I ever did. Or ever will.





My guess

His correction.

His break down of New York City proper.

And America as a whole



But what the hell, he still had to do pushups.

Anyhoo, it's raining now, and while DaLian rarely gets rain (or so I'm told), the entire city is flooded due to a non existant drainage system. Getting to school this morning was more of a platform jumping video game type experience than a commute.

I didn't really feel like taking the time out of my puddle/river dodging to take pictures, but here is a quick shot of a staricase that was more like waterfall.



Meh... doesn't really do it justice. Well just imagine waking up to view of a sea of garbage outside your bedroom window.

And on the topic of apartment views, I bid you adieu. More on Corey and my living arangements next time (when there are some good pictures).

Stay dry,
- Shawn

2 comments:

MT said...

Since I am going sequel first than prequel.. you lied.. you wrote nothing about your living situations

back in the island days, i saw some crazy rain.. though i usually hate rate, something is sort of cool about that

and did you use the term "meh" ? i think you have been more than once in recently weeks.. what has china done to you..(*tears) what has it done?!

MT said...

Oh yeah, quit dicking around with the kids..

i always thought you would make a good teacher.. and it's like i've always told you, those that can't do, teach.. your "quotation" fully prepared is probably what it's like to really work, eh? (that's the canadian in me).. the real world of working is balls to some extent, you're doing the right thing, and the right way.. you make the sun god proud but for some reason, i want to kill you and you deserve to die