Thursday, March 29, 2007

What did you just say?

When you were in school and your teacher called on you when s/he knew you weren't paying attention, you automatically struggled to come up with an answer that seemed like it had something to do with the last thing you heard.

To stall for time, you would "ummmmm....." for as long as possible. Right?

If you're actually paying attention but still don't know the answer, you still default to the stalling tactic of "ummm..."

It happens in class, it happens in casual conversation, but it doesn't happen in China.

When my kids are at a lost for something to say, they start saying "Niggaaa..."

When I first heard it I was confused. The second time I was still confused. After a while, it became hilarious in a really guilty sort of way. And now, I'm just used to it. Although it's still strangely hilarious.

Now, I hear it everywhere. Cabs, restaurants, even on the news.

Even an American substitute teacher was saying it when he was working at our school for the day. I feel bad for him. He's gonna get himself killed when he goes home.

- Shawn



(Oh, and some people say Jigga instead of nigga. I guess they're from Brooklyn, and are repin' Jay Z.)

(I can't believe I just actually typed "repin' Jay Z" in any context.)

2 comments:

Marty Abraham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shawn said...

Lost in Translation would be a great name for this "series", maybe even better than the alliterative joy of "Colloquial Chinese".

I'll have to remember that one.