Saturday, September 22, 2007

Quick! Hide! It's the Sun!

This post is being written now because the weather is starting to change here in Dalian, and if I want there to be any relevance at all, it's gotta be now.

Where I come from, tanning is a strange but welcome pass time. People will sit and bake on a beach or by a pool for hours, hoping to get as dark as they can without tempting the skin disease gods. They industry has evolved to the point of offering up tanning sprays that turn you orange, and 24 hour tanning salons where you get to chill in a microwave for a while at 3:00 AM.

Things couldn't be any more different here. The beauty supply industry is centered on whitening creams, and even cab drivers where really strange attachable sleeves to avoid farmer tans. The darker you are, it is believed, the lower your social class. Because clearly, in a city known for its beaches, the only reason you'd have a tan is if you're out working in the fields all day.

I don't need to get it, that's the beauty of China.

But speaking of the beaches, they are a strange sight. I need to apologize for not having the foresight to snap photos myself, but thanks to morally wrong facebook album robbing, I have secured some pictures of some of the very strange sites you'll see on the Dalian coastal beaches. The first that I have no shots of is a neat enough idea, but in the larger context of solar fear is really strange. Tents on the beach. Lots and lots of tents. No base camp made of towels, bags, lawn chairs and perhaps an umbrella. No siree, just tents. But whatever, I like it. Things get weird on the beach when you see THIS guy...


(photo unceremoniously stolen from Laura)

It's not just the beach though. The other day I was grabbing some lunch by school, and saw this. People are not just under umbrellas. Oh no no no. What if the sun rays fly sideways, or reflect off something. What if we're exposed! So here we go, a lunch break completely covered by an umbrella.



Delicious, but a bit claustrophobic.


I don't know if the Chinese are all Vampires or what, but either way, I'm going to go find some shade.
- Shawn

No comments: