Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The First Semester Chinglish Awards

Chinglish (or Chinese English for the uninitiated) is a hilarious ummm... art form... that can be found all over China. Chinglish ranges from random typos, to hilarious non-sequitors to fully formed paragraphs that just make no damned sense. I could go on, but I'm gonna just let the pictures do the talking.

Feel free to click on the images for a more in your face inaugural Chinglish experience.




Pretty, pretty prinless.



Season's Greerigs to you all
.



Just because it makes sense doesn't make it any less hilarious.



What makes this great, is that Christmas is spelled right right under Christma.



It's really pretty terrible when it's a simple enough word that you got right the first time...



Twenty Six is my favorite TV show of all time!



Terrifying




My notebook for learning Chinese, here's hoping no one uses it to learn English.



No words needed.




I walked on yhe bridge when I was in Dandong, it was one of yhe more interesting bridges.



Hey, they got it right this time.




A friendly warning.



Good to know.



The back of Archie's (one of our Chinese Teachers) T-Shirts. She had no idea what it all meant. I did.



Just blow up and read. Maybe twice.



Every airport needs one.



Finger licking... K?



This one gives me a headache just trying to come up with a witty caption.



Saf ety fir st.



The next few gems are courtesy of the Dalian Zoo, and then Aquarium. There will be a post all about the two sites... eventually. Until then, here are some powerful and moving signs. And remember, No beating!



There sure can be if we keep beating the animals.



Prove it.


As long as it's filtered.



I'll try not to.



Same rules apply at the aquarium.



Gotta love those European trends!



Our final bit of Chinglish for the day is courtesy of Bianca.


If you're a bit overwhelmed, then this post has done its job. Welcome to the wild and wacky world of Chinglish. The good news is that this is the first of an ongoing new feature on the blog focusing on this bastardization of the language I am here to teach. The bad news is that your head will continue to hurt as the Chinglish rolls in.

Happy all the time!
- Shawn

3 comments:

Jonah said...

Wow. Just Wow.

First off, congratulations on finally finding a sign that beats (no pun intended) the "a pedestrian was killed crossing here". If you steal me a no beating sign I will be your best friend forever.

Second, half of your "chinglish" makes perfect sense. I mean, they had that one sign for the Americans about the bridge, and one sign for 16th Century British travelers for Yhe ole bridge to Korea. You owuldn't understand. It's a walk on water ball thing. Also, I love that the remembered the apostrophe in "Season's Greerings". Finally, as for Twenty Six, all I have to say is the two hours following Season 5 consisted of Jack getting pummeled by secret Chinese agents on a boat. Think about it.

Peace.

Jessi said...

i need that t-shirt. now.

Shawn said...

First, I'm sorry it took me so long to respond to these comments. It's more difficult than it should be thanks to some internet restrictions over here. Not difficult enough to warrant such abhorrent delays, but I'll use it as an excuse nonetheless.

Dude, I'll try my damndest to get you a No Beating sign, but I'm a little afraid to be honest. Mainly because the quite obvious punishment for stealing it.

And Jessi, I can promise you that if I find that t-shirt, it's yours. Although I hope it won't be too weird if I get one myself. I always thought I looked good in pink. (You should see the front of it though, its got a disgusting tweety birdish face on it... not as funny as the back, but really... just as weird)