Monday, April 2, 2007

I Want to Be A Model Citizen...

Last week after finishing my classes on Sunday evening, I walked into the teacher's room to see Corey hard at work with one of my students and his parents. After some prying, I found out that the kid was going to be recording a song in English. The song, called "I Want to Be a Modern Citizen", was written by a Chinese composer so there were some English errors.

The parents quickly roped me into the correcting, and before long we butchered up the flow of the song in favor of grammatical correctness.

What'd we know?

This week, the kid came back with his mom in tow. I guess our (really Corey's) corrections made a strong impression. The song's composer wanted a picture of the foreigners that fixed his song with the student that would sing it.

On principle, I refused to take any picture until the kid sang us all the song. And sing he did. I was actually surprised... it sounded really good, and it flowed nicely, even though the words shouldn't have matched up with the melody.

We done good.

And the kid and the composer got their picture.



Here's to making waves in China,

- Shawn

5 comments:

Marty Abraham said...

How about recording the song....

Shawn said...

well, we were promised the recording... so if we actually get it, I'll see what I can do. I'd love to share it somehow...

Unknown said...

When you get it, figure out how to put it up on youtube.

Jonah said...

Holy crap. Can you get me a copy of the lyrics to that song? r better yet a recording?

MT said...

you make me so proud, :'-(

now, if you can only make yourself successful